5/3/2015: We’ve talked to the engineering teams at Overplay and they will hopefully be rolling out a solution this week. Do keep an eye on our status page.
Since last week we have had a number of reports that the SmartDNS by Overplay no longer works with the RTÉ player outside of Ireland. The first report we received was about a week ago and we have been getting them steadily ever since. The problem with these systems that circumvent TV streaming services’ geo-location checks is that they can they can be eventually detected and blocked. It appears that RTÉ has finally moved to block Overplay with their new measures. So no Operation Transformation or Fair City for the time being 🙁 None of these systems come with a guarantee that they will be able to unlock specific services all of the time. It’s a bit of a cat and mouse game, where the SmartDNS providers try to stay one step ahead of TV stations. We have talked with Overplay directly and they say that they are still working on a fix for this. We had reminded them there there are quite a few of customers looking to use it for watching the 6 nations which starts this weekend. In the meantime they recommend the coverage available via the BBC iPlayer.
On Social Media
@overplaydns can we use other overplay SmartDNS servers to get around it ?
— Paul – vpn.ie (@IrishVPNs) February 24, 2015
Alternatives to try ?
Two suggested alternatives we’ve tested include :
We got both of these to work for us.
We will keep this page updated with any additional information we find out.
- 5/3/2015: We’ve talked to the engineering teams at Overplay and they will hopefully be rolling out a solution this week. Do keep an eye on our status page.
- 28/2/2015: Live streaming is working, playback isn’t. We have added this to our checks on our status page.
- 25/2/2015: Overplay say they are still working on a fix, but the issue isn’t widespread. Added some alternative workarounds above.
- 21/2/2015 : Currently no update from Overplay regarding a fix on this
- 14/2/2015 : After working for a week, it appears blocked once again.
- 7/2/2015 : It appears that it is now back working !https://twitter.com/overplaydns/status/563733559987683328